Town Court


Town of Kirkwood Court
70 Crescent Drive
Kirkwood, NY 13795
Phone: 607-775-2653
Fax: 607-775-4589


Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday
8:00 AM – 3:30 PM

Town Justice Ward E. Coe

Town Justice Jeffrey Hawkes


*** Due to the current COVID-19 crisis, the court procedures have been changed.  The court must hold all court appearances virtually.

Join on your computer or mobile app

Click here to join the meeting

Or call in (audio only)

+1 347-378-4143,,449015182#   United States, New York City

(833) 262-7886,,449015182#   United States (Toll-free)

Phone Conference ID: 449 015 182#

Find a local number | Reset PIN

Learn More | Meeting options



The Town Court plays a vital role in the protection of our safety and our rights as residents of the Town of Kirkwood.  Every town has a Court, which handles civil and criminal matters.

Any criminal act, which occurs in this town, is initially under the jurisdiction of our Town Court.  After the arrest occurs, the individual is brought to court for arraignment.  The arraignment is the time when a plea of guilty or not guilty is entered to the charge, and if necessary, bail is set.  Arraignment times for both Criminal and Vehicle and Traffic charges are Tuesday and Thursday at 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM.  Bail is an amount of money, which a person has to pay to insure a defendant’s appearance in court, pending disposition of the criminal matter.

Pre-Trials and Trials are set for the first and third Wednesday of every month.  The defendant is to appear during these times with their attorney, if they desire one.  By that date, the Broome County District Attorney’s Office will then attempt to resolve any discrepancies in the case and negotiate a plea or set the matter for trial.  The District Attorney’s Office has an assistant in each of the individual Town Courts to handle Vehicle and Traffic as well as Criminal matters.  On the Pre-Trial dates, defendants appear to discuss the case with the Assistant District Attorney.

The court will also hear matters concerning landlords and tenants such as eviction proceedings, rent due or abandonment of the property.  Any violations of the Kirkwood Town Code, such as zoning, the noise ordinance, property maintenance, etc. will also be heard in the court.

Our Town Court also handles Small Claims Court actions.  Only an individual may bring an action in Small Claims Court up to a monetary limit of $3,000 against any person or corporation who owes money if that person or corporations lives, has an office for the transactions of business, or works within the town.


On-Line Payments at  or 1-800-701-8560

Court Hours

Town Court Schedule



Criminal Court –
Misdemeanor Charges


10:00 AM


4:00 PM

Vehicle Traffic Violations


10:00 AM


4:00 PM

Small Claims*


10:30 AM

3:30 PM

Summary Proceedings


10:30 AM

3:30 PM

*Small claims court is also available by request

What if I am summoned to be a Juror?

If you receive a summons to be a juror you should contact the Broome County Commissioner of Jurors (778-2159), or Town of Kirkwood Court (775-2653) for further information.

What if I am summoned to be a Witness?

If you receive a summons to be a witness you should contact the Broome County District Attorney’s Office (778-2198 or 778-2423) for further information.

Wedding Appointments

Town Justices can perform Weddings by appointment, please call the court ahead of time.


How do I answer my ticket?

You may have received a hand written ticket or a computer-generated ticket. It is the obligation of the receiving motorist to respond to the ticket. If the charge(s) are NOT MISDEMEANORS you may either appear on the date listed on the bottom of the ticket or you may sign the back of the hand written ticket or the right side of the computer generated ticket to indicate your plea of either guilty or not guilty. You then mail it to the court at the address listed above.

Note: Be sure to review all information printed on your ticket(s). To plead guilty, complete and sign Part A of your ticket, to plead not guilty, complete and sign Part B of your ticket.

Upon a plea of guilty, the judge will impose a sentence which could consist of a fine. Also imposed would be the NY State mandated surcharge. You will be notified by mail of the amount due and the process to make the payment.

Upon a plea of not guilty, you will be scheduled for a pretrial conference with the prosecutor to negotiate an agreement to plead guilty to a legally authorized alternate offense. Any proposed agreement is subject to approval by the court. Once your plea of not guilty is received and accepted by the court, you will receive the notice scheduling this conference and will also explain the process.

If you have been charged with a misdemeanor, you must appear in person on the date and time listed on the ticket. Or if you are being charged with a third or subsequent speed in an 18 month period, you must appear in court.

I missed my court appearance what do I do?

You should contact the court or if your attorney immediately. Depending on the matter at hand, non-appearances could normally result in one or more of the following: Arrest Warrant, Bench Warrant, bail forfeiture and/or the suspension of your driver’s license/privileges.

What is a supporting deposition?

A supporting deposition is a detailed account from the officer regarding the issued ticket. If you were handed an electronically issued ticket, the officer may have handed you the supporting deposition along with the ticket. Some officers hand the ticket and supporting deposition to the driver as one long piece of paper, some separate them.

I’d like to speak with someone regarding a reduction or plea bargain.

If you are charged with a traffic violation and before any plea bargains are accepted, you must first enter a plea of not guilty by appearing for arraignment before the judge or by completing Part B on the traffic ticket(s) you were issued. You may mail or drop the signed ticket(s) to the court office. Once a plea of not guilty has been entered with the court, you would receive further information with regard to plea bargaining.

Why can’t I send payment in with my ticket?

Because the judge will assess the penalty once a plea of guilty has been entered. Once assessed a Notice of Fine will be mailed to you stating the amount due and the process to make the payment.

How do I pay my fine?

Payments are accepted during the hours listed on this website.

You may pay in person with cash or money order for exact amount or with a debit/credit card.

You can also pay online at OR call 1-800-701-8560

A fee will be added to your credit card payment.

NOTE: Neither the municipality nor the court receives any portion of any fees.

The following are NOT accepted:

Personal or business checks, or payments over the phone with a court clerk. You may call 1-800-701-8560 for any phone credit card payments.

Do I need an attorney?

Although you are not required to have an attorney you have a right to have representation at every step of the proceedings. It is not recommended that you proceed to trial without the aid of counsel but you certainly have the right to do so.

Can I get a Public Defender?

You must call to make an appointment immediately. You will have to financially qualify for representation. Call the Broome County Public Defender’s Office at 607-778-2403 for further questions or to make an appointment for a qualifying interview. You are required to notify the court of your scheduled appointment.

How do I contact the District Attorney?

Broome County District Attorney’s Office
PO BX 1766, 45 Hawley St., 4th Floor
Binghamton, NY 13902-1766


Who do I contact about points on my license?

Contact NYS DMV at your local office or go to If you are an out of state driver, contact your home licensing state.

For clarity, go to NYS Driver Violation Point System.

 Why is my license suspended?

Depending on the reason for your suspension; you must either pay the fine/surcharge due or appear in court. If your license is suspended, and the effective date is July 5, 2009 or before, you will be required to pay a Suspension Termination Fee of $35.00 per suspension. Suspensions that go into effect on or after July 6, 2009, suspended drivers must pay $70.00. The Notice of Suspension from NYS DMV will give further information regarding this fee, or you can go to their website Submit your identified payment as outlined in the “How do I pay my fine?” question on this page along with a self-addressed stamped envelope. Send the Notice of License Suspension Order for endorsement and verification of the suspension date. Call the court clerk if you do not know the total amount due or for information on scheduling a new court date.

What is the driver assessment fee?

That notice came from NYS Department of Motor Vehicles and is separate from any fines or surcharges paid to the court. The fee is called Driver’s Responsibility Act (DRA). Go to for any questions pertaining to that fee.

What is the NYS Department of Motor Vehicle phone number?

1-518-486-9786 (NY license)

1-518-473-5595 (out of state license)

Who do I talk to about the status of my license?

To find out any information regarding your license status or the effect of a conviction, contact or visit your licensing state Department of Motor Vehicles.

I was the victim of a crime. Who can I talk to?

You can contact:

SOS Shelter Advocacy Office at 1201 Man St. in Endicott, NY (across from U-E High School) 607-748-5174. The 24 hour Crisis Line is 607-754-4340. This hotline is for information and referrals to their shelter and /or other services and support.

Crime Victims Assistance Center Advocate Program at 45 Hawley St., Binghamton, NY 607-778-2423 ask for the Crime Victim Advocate. The 24 hour Crisis Line is 607-722-4256. This hotline is for information and referrals for victims of domestic violence as well as accompaniment to hospitals and law enforcement agencies.